Is your home prepared for the winter???
Winter in New England can be brutal. The cold, snow and ice can cause unforeseen damage to your home. Preparing your house for the winter helps to minimize the risk of a loss. Noted below are some basic, self-help tips.
- Shut the water off to your outside spigots from the inside shut-off valve, keeping the spigot open, allowing as much water as possible to drain from the line. Once the line has drained, shut-off the spigot and cover the spigot with an insulated faucet cover.
- Clean out all organic debris from your gutters and downspouts. Even better, install a gutter protection device after cleaning.
- If you have experienced ground water in your basement from snow melt, a slight regrade of this area may help.
- If you have ground or below-ground windows, installing a pent over top of the windows will prevent snow build-up at and water infiltration from snow melt at the window jambs.
- If you have window wells, installing a pent over the window well will help keep snow out of the well, preventing snow melt from seeping through the window jambs.
SERVPRO of Derry/Londonderry is here to help you escape the winter home hazards. Call 603.432.3221 or email chuck@SERVPROderrylondonderry.com for a complimentary home inspection.